What size engine do I need for water skiing or wakeboarding?

Tom, our Sales Director, gives his views on what size engine you need for water skiing or wakeboarding:


What size engine do I need for water skiing or wakeboarding? - video


Video Transcript

Hi, I’m Tom and I’ve been boating my entire life. I specialise in RIBs. So, today’s question is what size engine do I need to water ski or wakeboard behind my RIB. Well, it’s not a straightforward answer because it can depend on so many things. The length of the RIB, the weight, the shape of the hull, how many people you’re putting on board. So, I can give you a rough rule of thumb, but you’ll need to think about those things.

For a five-metre RIB, you’re probably going to need at least 60 horsepower. As the RIB gets bigger and heavier you’re gonna need more horsepower. For a six-metre, you’re gonna need about a 100, a six and a half probably 150 horsepower and so on. If you want some advice on what size engine for any particular type of RIB then it’s best to speak to an expert, so you can make sure that you can be able to pull that skier or wakeboarder up behind the boat nice and comfortably.

Give me or the team a call and we’ll be happy to help you.

  • We will use the data you submit to fulfil your request. Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Part of the Trafalgar Group
Contact Us

Trafalgar Wharf, Hamilton Road, Portsmouth,
Hampshire, PO6 4PX United Kingdom.
+44 (0) 2392 397 000

Keep up to date with news, special offers and events

Ballistic RIBs For Sale - Commercial & Leisure RIBs - newsletter icon
JBT Marine Limited; Part of the Trafalgar Group of companies
Registered Office: Midland House, 2 Poole Road, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH2 5QY
Company Number: 03876396 VAT no: 704658236
© 2023 Leisure & Commercial RIBs by Ballistic RIBs All rights reserved.